Subject: [Leica] Elder prostate wisdom
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:36:24 -0800

George,

> I think that Mark is largely correct. I'm an MD, though not a Urologist. I
> think they have us coming and going on this very difficult question. Even
> the formal recomendations about this have changed fairly recently. The
> problem is that the majoroity of men above a certain age, ? 70 or so as I
> recall, develop some form of "prostate Ca " at least seen microscopically
> on autopsy, regardless of the cause of death.

    Of the men who develop prostate CA, who are diagnosed while living, most
have a fairly benign form. Some few, a low percent of diagnosed prostate
Ca's, are aggressive.  That's the problem.  As a result a lot of work, many
procedures are done on many people so that a few may be  protected. Many
procedures are done, much money is spent, ultimately many suffer
complications from the procedures a few really need.

George, as you have come this far, have an enlarged prostate and rising
PSA's, it is hard to conclude now, that it's wise to stop the bus.

Steve

>>> http://www.imagist.com/blog