Subject: [Leica] 4 Pics
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:07:37 -0800

Peter offered this question too Lluis:

>> Can you "translate" what you do by instinct into terms that ordinary
people could
> understand (especially people who don't understand photography anywhere
near as you)? <<<<<<<

Hi Lluis & Peter.
May I interject here, please?"

After being the key note lecturer for the "LEICA INTERNATIONAL CAPE COD
SEMINAR" for 16 years. Not counting lecturing to amateur groups, university
journalism classes and myriads of professional groups, mixed throughout my
60 plus years. A tad bit of experience.

Trying to teach humans how to make their instinct re-act to a scene or
situation is an almost impossibility. Humans are humans and their re-actions
are not equal one unto another! Some are so  slow the bodies are being
carried away before they take the lens cap off! Or turn on the camera? Set
the ISO! Or take it out of the case? Or they don't even see a picture lying
face down twenty feet in front of them> OH sorry that was some "old one eyed
guy!" ;-)

I have as others on the LUG, been in Llui's presence when he is street
shooting he is so fast! And I swear.... "INVISIBLE" to his subjects that he
has the photo taken, turned ready to shoot something else in an entirely
different direction and the subjects have absolutely no idea he took their
photo.

And no matter how well you explain and show brilliant images, the
"SEE-RE-ACT-CLICK" can't be taught! You can explain it a million times in
whatever language you wish! But if the people "DO NOT" have rapid fire
natural born human instincts they will miss the "LlUIS TYPE PHOTO MOMENTS!"
PERIOD! Or be extremely lucky!

Instincts / re-actions are "to each his own." We're made that way. As often
as you show images of sports figures in mid-flight of a dive or whatever
during a jump, leap in the air there are those that after a 100 tries? A
1000 tries?
Will still be looking at their camera to see what they set it at "OR SOME
TECHIE THING?" ;-)

Then there is Lluis with instincts I swear he feels the image before he
see's & shoots IT! :-)

Then today you have all those whiz-bang "FANCY-PHONE CAMERAS" that so many
people have. And without question they nearly all think they are
"SUPER-SHOOTERS!" "Oh I don't need any lessons I've got my super-camera
i-Phone!" Added to the insult?  "Oh what does he know! Look all he has is
one of those "OLD-FASHION LEICA CAMERAS!" Throw their head back, walk off
and sniff the air! "He's got one of those "old-time camera things! You can't
even phone with it!"

So OK, re-actions, instincts, swiftness of eye and trigger finger, CLICK?"
Trust me.......... YOU CAN ONLY SHOW IT, TELL THEM, AGAIN & AGAIN! "But you
ain't going to teach it!

Not today with such auto-cameras on the market the holder believes he or she
just has to aim it and it takes great action images. "Or the quick corner
KISS in a bar!" ;-)

However? Lluis being Lluis "The Great One" we all love and admire? He'd defy
everything I've said and turn out a bunch of invisible LaRambla photo
-snappers! :-)

cheers,
ted