Subject: [Leica] JE SUIS CHARLIE
From: coupdefoudrellc at gmail.com (Wilbur Norman)
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 13:54:53 -0700

The photo of next week's New Yorker cover did not come thru with my LUG
email. So, I will put the URL of the New Yorker site where it is posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/cover-story-2015-01-19

And:

"For better, because so many of us have the luxury of often feeling secure
enough in our freedom to take it for granted. For worse, because in taking
our freedom for granted, we are too often ready to trade it for a greater
sense of security. We are not Charlie, in other words, because we risk so
little for what we claim to value so much. We are not Charlie, too, because
most of us are relatively inoffensive, whereas Charlie, like so many
liberating pioneers of free expression?think not only of Lenny Bruce and Mad
magazine but also of Gandhi and Martin Luther King?were always glad to give
offense to what offended them. And we are not Charlie, today, because we are
alive?.

It [American Constitution] has proved surprisingly solid over time, but it
requires constant defense?as we are reminded by the belated emergence of the
memorial slogan ?Je Suis Ahmed??after Ahmed Merabet, the Muslim policeman
who was killed protecting Charlie Hebdo?s right to caricature his religion."

? Philip Gourevitch, The Pen vs. The Gun, New Yorker, January 8, 2015.