Subject: [Leica] The myths of crop factor AND LIFE! :-)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 10:12:04 -0800

George Lottermoser OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] The myths of crop factor

>>> Here's the thing Ted,

I love the aesthetics of photographic Art.
I love the power of the Best photo journalism.
I love Nathan's Travel Logs.
I love the technical side of darkroom techniques;
including the graduated cylinders, beakers, and balances.
I love the Zone System and all that it taught me about densitometry and
light.
I love all the quirky personalities throughout the history of photography;
whether photographers, printers, critics, curators, biographers, or.
I love the digi-techie-ness of sensor size and technology;
of software and hardware and how it may help me achieve my personal visions.

So at various levels
when you ask, "Who the hell cares????"

I do. up to a point

And of course I love you. too.<<<<<<<<<<<
Hi George,
You good Sir, are too kind! :-)

I well understand different strokes for different folks. Maybe what drives
me up the wall with so much techie stuff is the same bit of information or
challenges back and forth day after day repeated and repeated over and over!
But without a valid photograph illustrating what the subject topic does?

After all we are visual folks. If a member makes a comment about some
cropping gizmo or effect??????? Don't tell me! "SHOW ME AND I WILL LEARN!"
Tell me and I wont learn but a greater amount of confusion!  WHY?

Well I've never been very big about the technical sides of photography and
reading about all "THE STUFF?" Certainly not as understanding as so many of
you lads & Ladies. Maybe my short time at high school where the MOTTO was
"We Learn by doing!"  Well that's the translation from  Latin.

So we learned MANY many things by doing it. NOT READING ADINFINITUM stuff in
books!

I learned my photography by doing it or looking at photos of others. And
without question "BY DOING IT FOR 65 YEARS!" And that's day after day almost
the whole time. "JUST DOING IT!!" I loved it beyond ones wildest
imagination! There ISN'T any life like it where you went all over the world
on assignments and were paid to do it! Man it doesn't get any better than
that.

I could never understand why we had to read about other countries when the
country may only be several hours flying time and we would be at the real
country and not reading about it? Of course as we mature and learn real life
events, we learn you just don't hop on a plane and visit the "REAL COUNTRY!"

Maybe this note will have some of the CREW understand why I "BLAST OFF" at
times regarding the technical side. What I find interesting is how much I
don't know about the varied parts of photography and have made it as far as
I have? Without the knowledge you folks have in details of cameras and
photography itself.

ME? Put roll of film in camera, take pictures of things that caught my eye!
"CLICK!" Advance film!
Was there anything else I needed to know??? And my life went on like a story
book! Which some of you have read! :-)

cheers to all!
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein) ([Leica] The myths of crop factor AND LIFE! :-))