Subject: [Leica] IMG: Great Blue Heron
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 15:48:45 -0800

Hi Doug,

I have the two images side by side. I like the original better. Here's why:
that little bit of leaf leads the eye into the bird. Without it the sloping
branch steers my eye down past the bird's feet and out of the photo. But
that little yellow leaf helps me see the bird: my eye lingers. I think you
saw that when you made the image. That gray bit just below the leaf: it
could be lost because it IS distracting, but the leaf itself? I think it's
useful.

Trying to remove or dim the reflections in the water is contrary to what the
background is telling you should happen. There's light coming through those
trees therefor there should be a reflection in the water. The original feels
right to me, the retouched image feels wrong.

I'm definitely in the original version camp for these reasons and rather
strongly.

Thanks for listening and a greater thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Adam