Subject: [Leica] (selling vinyl) Overstuffed houses
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 09:44:43 -0000
References: <CAH1UNJ0wVhjNgd5rTQUKD9BA4AvrEvEND3R5uxqKNZMqGQ3o5g@mail.gmail.com> <5E2E68C3-336D-4C9C-86E7-D9F77CEF8664@archiphoto.com> <CAAsXt4Nw7QwAs_2Gz3g6ucpcoB0cQ2jk0aojH-YDJ-qkX4bW+Q@mail.gmail.com> <CAFfkXxtHB4Hpx6Wq3r7G=TC2AsTYSEGd--wW7xEAnYZed1=k3g@mail.gmail.com> <CAFfkXxtK-mQ7xekUkNRxHqG5S8_h+yyjhH4Y1Y4_FRZpnBNQjQ@mail.gmail.com> <CAAsXt4MCNBVo9sGd+H29iNe6E7ztViyMVsHjmPKhWHQKK-S_DA@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF5T61imj4nM0L_1L6QOsKsvLfHR8tLWcfyAysoJXU1MSw@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ1pSzeWFRp34+uBE8cO1htzGzQyAbAWGv4nL72FqeeV7g@mail.gmail.com> <CAE3QcF7io6Ryj56dsRyDTj0zJ2O18fMJykJV9J72fmD9ZA_TEg@mail.gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ3SjNJVBSP4Fj8NTAUxHY1bkXi0HE5XjZYAzFcHer3HLQ@mail.gmail.com> <857BAF15-E59F-47FF-8F78-C99BB19872ED@gmail.com> <CAH1UNJ32RTtRk_cMdLzucs+0wH=M5soY17jtS5s7HfjC-UWX6w@mail.gmail.com>

Jayanand, we seem to be the accumulation generation. Thankfully all my vinyl
left with my son. I'm currently thinning my place out as I'm moving to a
smaller house in ten days. Every hour is filled with agonising decisions
"Will I keep this, or will I throw it away. I might need it, but, then
again, maybe I won't". You're right though, the sense of ownership is
overrated, especially if the object is not used.

I'm continually amazed by the sheer volume of stuff that comes into this
house, and sticks there. Is it something in photographers' personalities
that makes us want the best and then want to keep it forever? The recent
documentary "Finding Vivian Maier" also highlighted this aspect of her, but
then again it could be our age and early conditioning rebelling against the
current disposability of seemingly everything - even society.

Douglas
Surrounded by boxes, and boxes, and boxes, and gradually losing the will to
live