Subject: [Leica] LUG & Blurb question
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 07:35:07 +1000

Mark I speak only for myself, not for Jim.
The book format is intended to be the consensus of the wishes of the
majority while annoying as few as possible.
I was never about making money and the only profit has always gone to Jim's
favoured charity. I preserved that this year both as a thank you to Jim and
because I believe that meets Brian's approval. I am not party to Jim's
sales numbers but he has told us before the amount raised for charity.

My prediction is that copies will be purchased by contributors but I don't
expect wide sales out of that group.
Ultimately it is a friend's photo album. I have previously put together two
small zero profit books compiling Leica photos from 12 and 19 Leica users,
mainly LUG people. Those 12 and 19 were the only purchasers.

This year you will be able to see the Yearbook on your iPhone and iPad as
well if you want and inexpensively.
You can read Jim's rationale on why he prefers to preserve the print format
only for the eight editions that he put so much work into for everyone's
benefit.

I will not release a PDF version of the 2014 book because of reservations
expressed to me about unauthorised copies. Remember that the editor does
not own any of the content. It belongs to all of the contributors.
Incidentally one of the recipients of your Nobel prize for contributing to
the design of the PDF format would be Brian!

Once the 2014 has been published the LUG may well want to discuss if they
wish to review the format of the book. For this one I am doing everything I
promised and keeping the faith with people's current expectations.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman