Subject: [Leica] VSCO Film - and Replichrome as well
From: mitcha at mac.com (mitcha at mac.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:58:50 +0200

Mark - you?re right that this file is hugely underexposed (actually, in LR5,
I increased Exposure by 1.8 stops plus almost by one stop on the woman on
the right in the foreground). That is because, for low-light photography
with the M9, I use the technique of ?Shooting at ISO 640 and pushing in
LR5.? I first linked the series of night shots that contains this photo in
another thread, in which I discussed using this technique for the M9:

http://leica-users.org/v54/msg1584744.html

Then, I posted more information on this technique here:

http://leica-users.org/v54/msg1584750.html

- - Mitch

From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:13:48 -0400
The tonality does kind of work and is rather impression.
You can tell you are under exposing the hell out of this because you can
practically see the filaments in the light bulbs and read the trademarks on
them (Sylvania?).
I personally feel that in any and all photography there is nothing worse
than over exposing and I err on the under exposure side if I'm going to err
at all. When look at the monitor at the back of my camera to check my shot
im checking for clear well defined light areas and highlights and let the
shadows fall where they may. My default is -1 so that perhaps means I'm
doing most my shots at not iso 64,000 but 12,800. Large black arias can be
easily opened up locally in Photoshop and lightened or just plain optimized.
Some of this I can pre do in ACR adobe camera raw before Photoshop even gets
opened. My histogram is off to the left but nothings falling off the sides.

I tried shooting my older CCD cropped cameras least year when I hurt my
wrist in a fall. My D200 and D40X. I'd walk down my dark sidewalks that I
walk down every night and point my camera and something and hit the shutter
and they would not even go off.
I got sold fast on CMOS and full frame.
However today I got up at 8 am and have a bright day ahead of me.