Subject: [Leica] VSCO Film - and Replichrome as well
From: mitcha at mac.com (mitcha at mac.com)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:15:23 +0200

Tina - despite the price, I think that the VSCO presets deserve more
discussion and consideration than they have been given in this thread. In
addition to VSCO, there are good presets from Replichrome as well. I?ve had
an opportunity to try both the the VSCO and Replichrome presets for the M9
on a friend?s computer - - and both sets have profiles for the M9 and M240.

My conclusion is that the VSCO and Replichrome presets can be very good, and
whether they are good at all for a particular file depends on the
characteristics of file itself, which involves a process of trial and error.
While one can easily say that anything that these presets accomplish can be
done in Lightroom itself, but that is a facile statement: some of the
presets make a large number of adjustments - - such as
adjusting each of the 24 individual sliders in the HSL panel: this  can
result in subtle differences in look that can be difficult for almost any
user to accomplish using LR itself, at least without an extensive effort on
a file. In trying the VSCO and Replichrome preset, I was less interested
simulating a particular film than in achieving the look that I wanted for a
particular file. Indeed, that is the advantage that I see in using these
presets: by trying a few different presets on a file, one can easily achieve
the look one prefers for that file and then make a few additional
adjustment using that preset and quickly completely that processing for that
picture.

As for VSCO vs Replichrome, it?s very difficult to chose between them
because either one can turn out to be somewhat better than the other,
depending on the file that they are applied to. For color, I ended up using
mostly the Ektar 100 (VSCO 5) and Fujicolor Pro 400H (VSCO 1)  presets.

For B&W, the Replichrome presets, particularly the Plus-X are often very
good for many files.  These presets are in the Replichrome I: Icon package,
which also includes Kodak Color Films (Ektar and Portra) as well Fuji Color
Films (Fuji Pro and Reala). However, I also like the Neopan 1600 preset,
which is in the VSCO 2 package; and the Tri-X 400 preset in the VSCO 1
package often gives better sky rendition than the Replichrome Tri-X preset.

It?s difficult to decide what to buy, but if your taste is similar to mine,
the choice would be the Replichrome I: Icon and the VSCO 1 and VSCO 2
packages, with a possible later purchase of VSCO 5.

Now, you may also find that for some files trying a few particular preset
may show you the general direction in which you want to take a particular
file; and you may end up not using the presets but making your own
adjustment in LR. Thus, the advantage of the preset is such cases is that
you get to where you want to be more quickly. Also, I found that for the
nightshots that linked in another thread (http://bit.ly/1i93new), my LR
processing was more to my liking than where the VSCO or Replichrome presets
took me ? the same thing for the skin tones in most of the portraits that I
tried out.

- - Mitch