Subject: [Leica] IMG: New Studio BW portrait
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 18:18:00 +1000
References: <32799483.1411476343300.JavaMail.root@mswamui-chipeau.atl.sa.earthlink.net> <000001cfd741$3da4f2a0$b8eed7e0$@ca> <CAE3QcF51xM1JbXb_WCB=-oWR0AFTEAsn8omYSSwXwQkN3i8avA@mail.gmail.com> <42B3E05F-E133-4762-B260-7DB13531EC05@icloud.com> <CAE3QcF7axw5xwi-0EcWzzVgArZdD2v+-eW8gXHL46+TqsSMSTg@mail.gmail.com> <B2CF6F3A-29D6-4F2B-AFCA-6474671BECEE@verizon.net> <CAE3QcF7RatsA=Y7YxD_x9dzN3SKsHqu-1ZzzsSpSTr+H=SQc2w@mail.gmail.com> <D71075F8-6C4E-4718-A336-A700B1E9CB5F@verizon.net>

That is correct Frank. That is quite usual for medium format cameras. The
newest generations of medium format cameras are becoming more capable
though. Hasselblad for example measure and compensate for the distance
affected by centring the focus point and then reframing. The newest S (Typ
007) includes predictive focusing, etc.
And yes that was how I was taught with SLRs too (and spot metering control).
 The model and photog obviously work together to maintain the working
distance and for full length or 3/4 length with a standard lens the DoF is
quite sufficient to allow movement with feet position unchanged. One of the
reasons for typically working stopped down like that is to help ensure
front to back sharpness of the subject there. The more critical example I
quoted was with a tightly framed  headshot for example. For portraits such
as I have showed samples from you can bet that each was individually
carefully focused on the near eye.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman