Subject: [Leica] Any recommendations prints on gatorboard?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 23:06:54 -0500

There was a thing which existed before anybody cared if their print lasted
more than a couple of years called wet mounting.
The print would start off wet as in right out of the wash.
You'd put a thin coat of strait Elmars or Sobo glue on the board.
You'd squeegee the wet print to the glued board.
The glue would go  into the print a bit as it was wet.
You'd be able to squeegee the print so there'd be no wrinkles.
The board would often be a masonite board.
Prints very large could be done this way. Many feet across.

The first time I ever saw a print of Tomoko Uemura in Her Bath
Minamata, 1972 by W. Eugene Smith with was done this way on a 4x6 foot sheet
of masonite and the edges of the print was wrapped around to the back.
It was the mid 1970's at our school cant say what Smith might have said
about it but for me at the time it was an effective presentation.
My first large print presentation was almost done that way a few years later
when I started off and got a large display job so a large advertizing agency
could get the Nike account.
But in the end after ruining a few and having to redo them I had pros spray
them and mount them to boards. They did it every day. They had it all
figured out.
I tried doing it but could not pull it off.