Subject: [Leica] Do you remember why you joined the LUG?
From: leopoldgreen at mac.com (Leopold Green)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 19:39:40 +0100

Hi George

I feel exactly the same way!

I bought my first M6 [the HM one] in 97 and subscribed to this group and
soon a lovely M4 followed. I decided when the M8 came out [and when it was
below ?3000 as well] that it was too much and I still wasn't convinced by
digital and didn't like the idea of something not full frame. I thought M9
was great till I saw the price and to an extent would need to learn a whole
new approach to photography based on digital colour - when I only ever took
B&W... you see where this is going! When they announced the Monochrom I knew
it was what I needed. I am not at all rich [or even particularly well off]
so I saved for a year and was finally able to buy one and as you say when I
pick it up I feel the same connection back through my film Leicas.

It is nice to see some of the people on the LUG who were members back in the
90s... and it is good seeing others pictures even if not taken with Leica...

but sometimes there seems to be a real proselytising zeal for Fuji which I
can sort of see but then there are the times we are told with absolute
certainty that any new Leica is made only for collectors who will never take
a single picture with it - 100%, no discussion, absolute conviction, Leica
some sort of pernicious organisation and those 'collectors' idiots with no
connection to photography [read the comments made when they introduced the
cheaper film M-A]. Few takes issue with this so I assume that this is what
most of the LUG believe in which case the list maybe ought be re-christened
to the 'Rangefinder style small camera user group - No Leica 'Collectors'
welcome'?

I can sort of imagine Ted writing 'just take the damn photo and stop wasting
your time talking about gear' and he would of course be right

Sorry all I meant to say was I agree and think that the Monochrom is the
best camera they have made since the M4 even if it is more expensive when
inflation is taking into account, etc. etc., etc.,