Subject: [Leica] IMGs: French Accent (Portfolio)
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 11:56:57 +0530

Mitch,
This is where we differ - I think that without eye contact, interactions
with strangers on the street lose a lot of their pizzaz, and any chance
whatsoever of "seeing the soul of the subject". In the same breath, I would
also add that, IMHO, seeing the face of human beings, 99.9% of the time, is
far preferable to seeing their backs!

Asking permission of the subject, taking a couple of shots and showing it
to them works very well in India - because, by and large, once you do this,
they lose their self consciousness and go back to doing what they were
doing, and forget that you are there - in effect you become a part of the
person's "inner comfort circle" at once! The western method of street
photography, to pretend, and go through an elaborate charade, to appear as
if you are not surreptitiously taking photographs, is really not required
here. One can be quite direct.

I try all the time for eye contact in the wilderness with animals/birds as
well, it adds quite an element of danger and tension, and adds some punch
to what are otherwise fairly mundane captures.

Cheers
Jayanand