Subject: [Leica] IMGs: French Accent (Portfolio)
From: mitcha at mac.com (mitcha at mac.com)
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 10:12:05 +0200

Jayanand,

Not speaking about taking the backs of people, my feeling is that the issue
goes deeper than people going back to doing what they were after you after
the photographer asks permission. While I am sure that the method you
espouse works for you, it eliminates, or at least potentially compromises, a
whole range of pictures, of which an iconic example is HCB?s shot of a man
jumping over a puddle. No matter how much the photographer becomes ?a part
of the scene,? the idea of ?depiction? becomes largely compromised. Look at
the photography of Moriyama Daido -- and also at some of the videos of him
shooting what he calls ?no finder shots? by just pointing his small p&s
camera (formerly a Ricoh GR1 or GR21) at the subject.

The Moriyama example also highlights the point that is not an issue if
?Eastern? vs ?Western? approaches to street photography. I live in Bangkok
where it?s perhaps even easier to photograph people in the street than in
most of India ? and, since I speak the language I can communicate with
everyone ? but, when I want to depict life, I would not want to ask
permission. Better to do the Moriyama-type no finder shot. Here?s a link for
downloading a 30-shot portfolio from my Bangkok Hysteria book project, which
you may be interested in looking at for some examples: http://bit.ly/1zWPzwl

?Mitch

Replies: Reply from ric at cartersxrd.net (RicCarter) ([Leica] IMGs: French Accent (Portfolio))