Subject: [Leica] Leica Lenses on Sony /A7s
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2014 16:14:57 -0700

Richard Taylor wrote:

> I recently tested the new full-frame Sony A7s with a 15mm Voightlander
> Heliar, 28mm Summicron ASPH, 35mm Summicron ASPH, and a 60?s era 50mm
> Summilux ...

>  The smearing in the corners, even wide open, may not be serious in
> practice, unless you put your subject in the corners.  The lenses need to
> be stopped down to at least f5.6 to reduce the smearing and f8.0 get rid of
> it completely.

It sounds like the a7s may smear less than the a7r.  Of course the MP are
less.

> ... The Voightlander adapter I used has a cool feature.  After releasing
a catch, it?s possible to screw the adapter outward about a quarter inch to
allow close focusing with Leica lenses.

What I have found is that I can use the VM-E adapter to adjust the infinity
stop for each lens aperture.   With this, I'm able to get images with the
18mm ZM that are fine -- can match the M9 at an 8x10 crop or the M9 edge of
the 21mm Biogon (that is, again, avoiding the very edge of the Sony), and
the Sony does noticeably better in the center.  That said, the Sony's edge
performance with M-mount wide angles is a huge disappointment.

 In addition to the "poor" (less suitable for relatively symmetrical wide
angle lenses) Sony microlenses, there is also no question my M9 has faster
manual focusing and is more stable (less vibration).  On the other hand,
the 75mm Leica f/2.5 and Zony 35mm FE let that 36mp sensor do its thing and
outclass the M9 for my slow landscape/cityscape shooting style.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com