Subject: [Leica] Valve room picture
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

Mark,
Thank's for your comments on "The Valve Room." At the time the picture
was taken I was a consultant for the NAS and usually snapped pictures
of the sites I visited. Most were for my own personal file but I sold a
few to incorporate in annual reports. The valve room is the control
center of the Cognac oil drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico. The rig
itself is a tower as tall as the Empire State Building fastened to the
sea floor. Drilling takes place from a platform on top of the rig to
5000 feet below sea level with drill holes angled in all directions.
Very impressive. I don't know if the guy in the picture is lighting a
cigarette. Smoking was discouraged but, at the time, the rules were
very loosely enforced. A few disastrous explosions, the most recent
being th BP spill a few years ago, tightened up the regulations.
Workers in the offshore drilling industry joked that the worst health
hazard was all the weight they gained from eating all those 4000
calorie meals during their two week work stint.
Larry Z
- - -
Mark writes:
That valve room shot is amazing! The scale of the valves against the
guys
way back there is not often done. As in I've never ever seen it done!
Originality is hard to come by!
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/The+valve+room.jpg.html

Is that guy in the back lighting up a ciggy? Or is that a huge piece of
lint
coming out of his face? Inquiring Rabs wants to know!

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Valve room picture)