Subject: [Leica] Street photography in B&W?
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 16:02:10 -0500

An ancillary question - does a good "street" photographer only shoot B&W,
i.e ?is infra dig? :-)

Cheers
Jayanand

- - - -
That's a very interesting question. In my post retirement career as an art
and photo show reviewer I find relatively few "street photos" exhibited but
virtually all are in B&W. There is a feeling amongst show curators and
jurists that B&W photos are more immediate and authentic. Of course most of
these guys are 60 years old or older and are familiar with wartime pictures,
the police shots of WeeGee, and the stuff that was popularized in the older
photo magazines. Naturally, any picture taken with a cell phone cannot be
true "street photography."?Color pictures seem to be too processed to be
true street photography.?

I remember the outrage in the LUG several years ago when I criticized Dr.
Ted's assertion that B&W had more impact than color in depicting scenes of
trauma. I wonder how people will feel about it after a couple of generations
of digital camera use and the ubiquity of cell phones. Come on guys.
Regardless of the Leica Monochrom, color has won the imaging battle. And it
will be true as well in street photography after all the mossbacks have
passed on.
Larry Z ?

Replies: Reply from lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz) ([Leica] Street photography in B&W?)
Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Street photography in B&W?)