Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 24/6/2014: Hogueras de San Juan
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 00:13:58 +0200

Midsummer is celebrated seriously in Alicante, in what is known as Hogueras
de San Juan. Together with Christmas and Easter, this is one of the major
holidays of the year. Basically, a week-long party has been going around the
city, and it culminates today. Three images to give a flavour of the day.

On the eve of San Juan, June 23rd, people make fire on the beaches, using
whatever they care to bring. These are not large bonfires, just small ones
like this one. This goes on until the wee hours (in fact, this picture was
actually taken around 1 a.m., so it was already the 24th):
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3339739569&k=zqvNhhh&lb=1&s=O

This afternoon I went for a walk in the city to look at the Hogueras (huge
statues built for the fiesta all over the city), and met this Flamenco Dog:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3339739631&k=m4mzvBx&lb=1&s=O

And here is an example of a Hoguera. It is topical to the part of town where
it is placed:
http://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/4253606_kdsZ6C#!i=3339739702&k=4rqG8XP&lb=1&s=O

Like all other Hogueras, it is stuffed with explosives and will be set on
fire after midnight (i.e. within the next half hour as I write this).

I look forward to being able to walk my dog again from tomorrow on. She
hates fireworks and it has been impossible to get her out the last 3-4 days.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain