Subject: [Leica] Fun with 60+ years old Film
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:06:09 -0700

I bought a pack of Super-XX from eBay... Yes, Super-XX, "Must Be Developed
Before Feb 1951" Well, so we are 63 years too late. I am sure it will work
*grin*

Put the package inside the changing tent with a film holder. My mental
conversation (I hope it's mental anyway, and not me narrating what's
happening at real time) went like this:
"What is this? It feels like Pack Film! Ooops. OK, no big deal, I could
just open the metal frames like this, and hmm... where are the sheets?"
Eventually found them, ripped one off the protective sheet and tried to
push it in the film holder, guessing which side is the emulsion by feel
and... it wouldn't go in.

Touched and touched and it felt a bit wider and quite a bit longer than 4x5
negs. In went the pair of scissors and I did the best I could to cut 2
sheets totally by feel. At this point, I was sure that this is an entirely
waste of a grand total of $8 (+ shipping).

Put the remaining sheets in a film box and took everything out of the tent
and realized that I have ruined about 6 sheets due to not able to see which
are what, and what is where. Double oops.

Took two test shots, using exposure assuming ISO 50 (Super-XX was a high
speed film at ISO125 thereabout, but 63 years in a box probably lower its
sensitivity so I figured ISO50 is probably good). F5.6 at 1/8 second, 120 APO
Symmar with the Chamonix Saber on a tripod.

Managed to somehow wrangle them into the Jobo reel, even though the hand
cut sheets are neither the correct size nor even cut straight. Xtol 12 mins
in the Jobo with a pre-wash. Quick water stop, 30 secs in fix then took a
quick look and I was REALLY SURPRISED to see images on both sheets! Put it
back on the Jobo and finished it with proper fixing length, hypo clear,
water rinse, and photo flo. After they dried, scanned and post processed
and realized that one sheet has the emulsion facing the wrong way so the
exposure was about -2 stops! Tripe oops. The other one the exposure is
actually about + 1/2 stop.

So yes, these are post processed and therefore enhanced, but for a 63 year
emulsion, it's not bad at all!!

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20140611-Scanned-361-Edit.jpg

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/20140611-Scanned-362.jpg
--