Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tricycle Transport
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 18:18:55 -0400

Tina?

I think it's a no-no only when it doesn't work, and for me your composition
works, maybe because the horizon's not quite in the middle and the
compelling details are strongly concentrated below it, giving the same kind
of asymmetrical mass that the rule of thirds results in.

If you just can't live with it, I think the wet sand with reflections is a
much more interesting element than the sky, partly because it's a relative
novelty (EVERY outdoors scene has sky and clouds!) and partly because it
adds depth and increasing proximity as you look lower, and connects the
viewer to the scene. If you have to crop, take it out of the sky.

As for the trike and the boat, I think they're at least integral. All the
human activity is confined to the central plane, and these two elements help
draw the eye across the scene, as well as being more of the same tools that
the people in the frame are using. I'd say keep 'em in, unless you crop out
enough of the sky (or beach) that you need to narrow the composition
horizontally to compensate.

Just sayin'.

This has been a great series! At least on par with Guatemala. Can't wait to
see more.

?howard