Subject: [Leica] Scanning Tri-X
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 19:22:10 -0500

Peter,

The OKC Lug was having a somewhat similar discussion at our luncheon
meeting today.  I am happy with digital b&w prints, but I can relate to
the impulse to revert to film (for most of my darkroom years, I printed
platinum/palladium contact prints in preference to store-bought silver
paper).  First, I would suggest that you develop your own film.  I
wouldn't leave the most important part of the process to someone else.
You don't need a full darkroom, just a place to load the reels and drop
them into the developer tank and you can use the developer that you
prefer.  I have a Nikon LS-4000 35mm film scanner that is OK, though as
you note "16-bit" over-sampled scans take a while.  I am spoiled since
they are not that close to my 4x5 and 8x10 film scans.  Here is an
interesting approach I may try someday:

http://www.addicted2light.com/2012/11/23/best-film-scanner-canon-5d-mark-ii-vs-drum-scanner-vs-epson-v700/

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Ken