Subject: [Leica] OT: Sony Sucks, big time
From: jplaurel at gmail.com (Jim Gmail)
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:18:29 -0400

I know exactly what you mean, Nathan. I've been bitten by the same thing
with Sony products many times. Years ago, when Sony was one of the first to
put a FireWire port on a laptop, I bought one to edit video on a yearlong
trip. It was a disaster and I never did get it to work. I stood in the
middle of a triangle consisting of Sony, Adobe and Microsoft, all pointing
fingers at each other. Then a few years ago, we built a theater here in our
home. Once again, I was drawn in by Sony's promise of seamless integration.
So we ended up with a Sony AV receiver, projector and BD player based on the
promise that the Sony AVR would control them all with its highly touted
"universal remote" feature. It never worked properly and I eventually solved
it with a Logitech Harmony. Since then, the AV receiver needs periodic
rebooting and the BD player just refuses to play certain discs. In the end,
going all Sony brought no benefit. Sony hardware is actually very good, but
their software just sucks.

The problem with Sony and now Samsung is twofold. First, they apparently
believe that their products are the center of the universe. Many of the
integration features are predicated on components from the same
manufacturer, and even then things don't work properly. Instead of designing
with a more heterogenous environment in mind, they persist with this notion
that the customer will buy everything from them.

Second, they are wrapped up in this fantasy that they can be just like
Apple. But they can never be  Apple because software is a secondary
consideration to hardware. They even outsource a lot of the software work.
Until Sony and Samsung realize that hardware is a commodity and that the
real value lies in the software, they will never be able to deliver a decent
experience. I know some of you may comment on the proprietary nature of the
Apple ecosystem, and those comments have some merit. But at least when you
do a deal with the devil in Cupertino, you end up with a collection of
equipment running on software written by an A team rather than some random
contractor with no direct iterative access to the hardware engineering
teams. You get a system that is designed to work together and actually
tested by someone.

Don't even get me started on this "smart" TV trend, in which the display has
now been positioned as the central point for switching audio and video
signals. And now, because your display needs firmware updates, you can be
interrupted by messages saying that your display cannot connect to the
Internet, that some Samsung services are offline, or whatever. I wish they
would quit wasting their time on this stuff and focus the money on better
picture quality, like maybe a smoothing mode that doesn't make feature films
look like reruns of General Hospital from 1979.

-Jim

Sent from my iPhone