Subject: [Leica] Comparing film and digital resolution
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 06:07:29 -0700

Several years ago, I did the calculations based upon the molecular
particulate size of TMax100 film.  I picked that film because the density
data was available, and it was the most consistent particulate size film
available, and it was reputed to be the most consistent homogenous density
mix of crystals within the sensitive film layer.

My assumption was that the TMax100 crystalline molecule was the smallest
discernible and quantifiable light capturing receptor.  Therefore, the
closest analogy to a digital sensor pixel.

As I remember it, the particulate size, and therefore the effective pixel
density, was around 15MP per square inch.  The closest ( B+W only)
comparison is the MM.

The MM is about 10MP per square inch.

Based upon this, and for all practical purposes, digital sensor technology
resolution has caught up with chemical resolution.

Too much time on your hands is a bad thing......you worry about things that
are purely theoretical.  This happened to me as well when I first retired.
Seems a pattern....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Replies: Reply from frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE) ([Leica] Comparing film and digital resolution)