Subject: [Leica] [MUGers] Nocti questions
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 08:38:12 +1000

Howard, I seldom use my fast lenses wide open but I do value their good
behaviour regarding focus shift when stopped down a little as well as their
superb performance when I do my bit.
I'm contrarian I guess and not a good candidate for the older Noctis
especially. For perspective, if I could fund it/justify it and even find
one available I would ideally choose the new Summicron ASPH as the best of
all for me. Not slumming it with the Summilux though.

I can comment that I was loaned the current Nocti and an M for a weekend
while my camera and lens were away for repair. For me and my styles the
Nocti M ASPH results just look like those from the Summilux M ASPH. That is
to say, superb but with no noticeable rendering differences for me.

Handling that larger, heavier lens walking for street photography and for a
day in a studio was much less comfortable.  I like and use the Thumbs Up
too which really helps but that's not possible when you have anything else
in the hot shoe. I had aching hands by the end of probably four hours or so
with camera actually in hand each day. Of course if you  need or want that
0.95 then the decision is simple ;-)

http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/stvm
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/mvm

Cheers