Subject: [Leica] M2/HP5 and Monochrom comparison
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 17:16:35 -0700

Here's an interesting article from Steve Huff's site.  John Tuckey did a
shoot with a lovely model where he used both the M Monochrom and and M2
loaded with HP5+. You can see full-sized images if you click on the
pictures in the article.
<http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/03/21/a-night-at-the-opera-with-the-leica-monochrom-m2/>

I'm not interested in which one is "better," but I am interested in how
they are different, and how that effects the look and aesthetic
qualities of the pictures.  It's not an apples-to-apples comparison,
because he used different lenses. While the exposures are equal, the MM
shots originally were darker. And he shot the Noctilux at f/1 from
farther away than the 50 Summilux ASPH at f/1.4, so the relative DOF is
the opposite of what you'd expect.  Still, same model, same lighting,
same session, same photographer.

Just for fun, I created a "side-by-side" where I tried to reduce the
confounding variables further. I took the second pair of portraits, one
MM and one film, and reduced the size and tone curve differences as much
as I reasonably could quickly. I also did some " burning in" of the
hairline shadows in the MM picture to get closer to the film version.
Here's the result (best if you view full size on the LUG Gallery):
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/temp/Huff032114MMvsFilm.JPG.html>

Any thoughts?

Mine are that both are beautiful in their own way, but the MM and film
are drastically different media. The rendition of the lips and hair
color are different. Highlight renderings are completely different.  And
(obviously) the film picture is made of just-visible grains that of
random size and placement. The MM picture is made of a grid of pixels
that are exactly the same size and too small to see. Tones on the film
are made up of different proportions of black grains and clear film.
Tones on the MM are made up of many pixels that are similar in tone.

This latter point, I think is the key. I think it's often missed in
Web-sized versions film-digital comparisons, where the pictures are
either too small to see much difference, or at pixel-peeping 100%, where
you don't see how the elements would work in a decent-sized print.

Take your pick. In these pictures, I prefer the film rendering. With a
different subject, or at a higher ISO, I might very well prefer the digital.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin) ([Leica] M2/HP5 and Monochrom comparison)
Reply from john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] M2/HP5 and Monochrom comparison)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] M2/HP5 and Monochrom comparison)