Subject: [Leica] Leica's heyday?
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 09:00:32 -0600

My vote for Leica's Heyday was in the late 50's and early 60's with the M2
and M3 on into the M4.

The big buyers were not Press photographers, but American GIs and young
Louies with  money to spend. Every Post Exchange and BX had a nice camera
counter with a full stock of Leica, and several other nice cameras.

In 1959, we moved from Wetzlar to Rhein Main which was the transit base
back to the US (next to Flughafen Frankfurt).  The BX counter there looked
like a Leica store.   It seemed like it always had guys lined up to buy
cameras to take home, and they all liked those chrome snake neck straps for
some reason.

The WAC Circle PX in Frankfurt was pretty much the same, but had a wider
array of cameras as it didn't cater to the guys on the way out of Germany.

Obviously there were no taxes on anything, and the sales were subsidized in
other ways I'm sure, so the cameras were great bargains compared to buying
in German stores.

One thing is they did not sell any darkroom gear or chemistry, so when I
set up my darkroom, I had to go to a German store to buy all that stuff.

Regards,

Sonny
http://sonc.com/look/
Natchitoches, Louisiana