Subject: [Leica] M4/3 format ascendant
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 20:17:27 -0500 (EST)

 Over a year ago when I was still a consultant to Kodak I mentioned that the
optical engineering manager assured me that it was almost impossible to
differentiate pictures taken with APS-C and Micro 4/3 formats. This was from
the guys who developed the sensor for the M8 and worked on the M9. He told
me that the reason that many manufacturers didn't adopt the M4/3 format was
that it required signing up for the entire package, lens mounts, image
distance, etc. as well as format size. You had to join the club. Only a few
major manufacturers including Olympus, Panasonic and Leica opted to do so.
APS-C required no such commitment. My post was received with great
disinterest on the LUG. The blather about full frame and legacy lenses
continued. It's a new world guys. Smaller cameras are the wave of the
future. Goodbye to Speed Graphics, Rolleis, even Leicas. iPhones rule.
Larry Z
- - -?
Jim is absolutely right when he says:?
"Already M4/3 is very hard to distinguish from APS-C for
most applications. And the fact remains that larger sensors mean larger
lenses. Neither of the top 2 manufacturers of APS-C DSLRs has ever made a
serious attempt at a high quality lens line for their cop sensor cameras.
I'm talking about a full range of high speed primes and fast zooms, so if
the users of APS-C cameras want really good glass, they're forced into the
full frame lines. Only the m4/3 consortium have made a serious attempt at a
complete system with premium glass optimized for the smaller sensor. The
jewel-like Olympus 12mm f/1.8, the 75mm f/1.8, Panasonic 8mm fisheye and
7-14 are the result. Extremely compact lenses of extremely high optical
quality."

Replies: Reply from hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] M4/3 format ascendant)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] M4/3 format ascendant)
Reply from richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] M4/3 format ascendant)