Subject: [Leica] OT - Sony Alpha 7R
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 13:45:13 -0500

Its interesting I'd just come upon some writing that when the Leica first
came out they were selling the idea that viable photography could be done in
a format way smaller than what was done at the time. And they key was that
the optics were so good it would make of for the difference. The ELMAX which
became the ELMAR designed by Max Berek for the 24x36 format.
So instead of your 5x7 inch snapshot being a contact print it was now a
projection print. From a negative which had gone through all kinds of
solvent hell.
But Leica was saying the the remarkable optics made for the camera leveled
the playing field. Just pure baloney. But blame it on the marketing group.
We can certainly in this day and age edge out a Nikon or
Canon optic costing $400 by a Leica Asph Apo costing $4000 but with both
negatives or sensors being the same size.
Pick up a twin lens Rolleiflex or a Leica S and it blows it out of the
water.

The different between APS-C and full frame is not small.
By square mm its about twice:

25.1 * 16.7  = 419.17 APS-C
24 * 36  = 864 full frame.