Subject: [Leica] Antartica
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:20:44 -0500 (EST)

 Jayanand,
Great pictures of Antarctic wildlife. I can't wait to see the rest of the
pictures. I'm sure it was the trip of a lifetime. Curiously, just before you
posted the pictures on the LUG?I watched a television program about Ernest
Shackleton's epic sea voyage from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island.
My son, a former naval officer, noted that Shackleton's boat, the James
Caird was almost exactly the same size and displacement as the Westerly
Nomad sailboat sitting on a trailer in back of our garage. He wondered if it
could make a similar trip. I told him that it probably could but not with me
aboard. The Westerly sailboat was designed for North Sea conditions and is
regarded as being very seaworthy but the Southern Ocean is probably the most
stormy large body of water in the world. Shackleton's trip is widely
considered by sailors as the most difficult small boat voyage ever made. I
envy your trip.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Antartica)