Subject: [Leica] Leica Yearbook
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:23:17 -0800

Sent from my iPhone
Steve Barbour

On Jan 10, 2014, at 4:03 PM, Peter Klein <pklein at threshinc.com> wrote:

This, or some variation on the theme, is *the* problem. Leica has
effectively priced itself out of most of the photographer's market. They are
really more in the jewelry, prestige and bling businesses than in the
photography business. $7K for an M-240 or MM, plus another $1200 for even a
common 50 Summicron, used, and God help you if you need f/1.4, just add
another $1200, again used. Double that if you want aspherics. Most people
would say, "Are you crazy?" To shell that kind of money out, you have to be
very dedicated to a particular kind of photography, or have more cash than
brains. And it sure helps to be a very "high net worth individual."

I was lucky enough to buy a few Leica lenses before the digital Ms came out,
when they were merely a bit expensive, as opposed to crazy-stupid expensive.
If I had to pay today's prices for everything, I'd probably not be in Leica
at all.

I am concerned what I'm going to do when my M8 dies. The M9 didn't seem like
enough of an upgrade to be worth it. The main reason why I still might some
day would be to use my 50mm lenses as 50s again. I would have to sell most
of my lenses to pay for an MM or M 240.

So at the moment, I'm shooting my M8 occasionally with a 35 as a normal
lens. I still have an M6, and sometimes I think I might just start shooting
B&W film again. But most of the time lately it's the Olympus E-M5 with the
micro 4/3 primes.

And yet, I still consider myself a Leica photographer. I learned photography
the RF way, I still prefer it, and I love the lenses. And I like hanging out
with people who appreciate Leica.  I think that most of the LUG feels that
way to some degree. Which is why we're still the LUG. We just have to
embrace the paradox--we use other stuff, that other stuff can do some things
as well or better than Leica.  But Leica is in our roots, whether we still
use Leica, just remember it fondly, or cross-breed its lenses with other
company's bodies.

--Peter

Beautifully stated Peter