Subject: [Leica] IMG: Alexander the Great / Pergamon
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:53:39 -0700

Coins like this small one (17.7 mm diameter) were minted in Pergamon as pay
for
the troops after Alexander's army crossed the Hellespont in 334 BC on its
way to
wreck havoc on the Persian Empire. Army pay was most often silver, but many
gold
coins were also made, and this is thought to be one of the earliest, made
before
Alexander put his name on his coinage.

<http://photos.csd.net/alexander_pergamon_stater.html>

click the image to see the other side, or below for a larger image

.. and now since Leica has bought Sinar I can admit it, the coin images I've
posted from time to time were made by a Sinar P3.

Any comments are welcome.

Best,

John

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: Alexander the Great / Pergamon)