Subject: [Leica] IMG: St. Winefride's Well - Peter
From: leica at jayburleson.com (Jay Burleson)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 17:55:02 -0800

Thank you for looking, Peter.
The highlights are not blown on the processed dng or printing version.
Very close, but not quite.
What you see is an artifact of jpg compressing the tonal scale.
The MM can be difficult in very high contrast lighting situations, if
you do blow the highlights, there is no recovery at all. Just a grey
blob if you try.
Luckily I've had years of experience shooting slide film, so I
understand metering needs to keep highlights under control.
Not that I am successful every time, however...
I should have used exposure compensation on those two image, and dialed
it down by 1/3 or even 2/3 stops, and then placed the highlights where I
wanted in post. But I was in a hurry.
The MM allows you to pull up two or three stops out of the shadows quite
cleanly, so I hardly ever worry about underexposing too much.

Jay

--
Jay,

Jay Burleson Gallery <http://jayburleson.com/leica/gallery/index.php/>
"Being a Leica customer is like dating the most beautiful girl in the
world...
who cares more about herself than you... but, you keep calling her back
anyway...
because the sex is so good... most of the time." (RickLeica on LUF)

Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] IMG: St. Winefride's Well)