Subject: [Leica] Leica lenses on Sony A7
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 06:26:15 +0000

Microlenses came about since a digital sensor is not light sensitive over
its whole surface. There is an insensitive wall around each pixel well. In
order to avoid wasting light a layer of microlenses was added to the sensor
such that most of the light impinging on the sensor was directed into the
light sensitive pit of each pixel. This was a big step up for effective iso.
Leica had always written that M lenses, particularly the WA lenses, were
unsuited for use on digital sensors since the exit pupil of the lenses, even
the retrofocus ones are nowhere near as retrofocus as SLR lenses, means that
the edge rays from the lens would be shaded because of the acute angle at
which the light hits the pixel well resulting in part of the pixel being
shaded by the wall of the pixel well.

I think if Epson hadn't come up with the RD-1 we may still never have seen a
digital M. It showed that whilst not ideal, most of the lenses worked well
enough to impress, even in a non-optimum situation.

Leica came up with the idea of using a modified microlens layer on their
version of the sensor with edge microlenses offset such that the edge rays
of the WA lenses were better redirected into the pixel well.

Two things seem evident to me here, please correct me if I have missed
something.
1. The steep angle through the IR filter will always lead to colour shifts
in some lenses which will always need to be software corrected. The
microlenses don't fix that yet AFAIK.
2. These offset microlenses can only be optimum for one exit pupil distance,
meaning that the sensor/microlens stack is slightly to greatly non-optimum
for all other exit pupil distances.
Now SLR lenses have exit pupils all over the place too, so it can't be that
big a deal when the exit pupil is a long way from the sensor, but a -lot- of
lenses for rangefinder cameras have their exit pupils very close to the
sensor, but are not all the same.
So I guess the light fall off and colour shift will always be there and will
be different for each lens design (and only loosely related to focal
length). The extent to which it can be software corrected will probably
continue to be developed. Some lenses will probably never be all that good
on a digital sensor.

FD