Subject: [Leica] conductor photo***
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:54:22 -0800

On Nov 6, 2013, at 8:07 AM, Scott Gregory <scottgregory at mac.com> wrote:

> Steve thanks for the explanation of how you set up the camera with the  75
> summilux. I think the testing you are doing is great as an alternative, to
> the M9 ie: using your Leica lenses on these mirror less cameras.
> Regarding off list, I think a lot of members are interested in reading
> about your tests, at least I am for sure.
> That 75 is a big lens from what I remember and have not seen or held one
> for years. I can visualize how it looks on the Nex7 though. Interesting
> your comments about not needing to use a tripod also. That's great!
> Offhand do you know if the xe1 focus peaking works in a similar fashion to
> the nex7?

similar, but in my experience, the Sony is better in part because of the
colors. Especially by shooting simultaneous RAW and bw jpeg's, using focus
peaking in red is made very sensitive, and incredibly easy. Focus peaking on
the Fuji is not available in red, so that little difference works in Sony's
favor, though reportedly a future Fuji software upgrade will add it and this
may be a very useful addition. I love the Fuji's for obvious reasons, often
shoot with them, the images are absolutely stunning especially with Leica
glass......

I use my M9 as well for critical focussing but even after spending a small
fortune having the lenses and body calibrated and adjusted by DAG, I am
still at the mercy of a mechanical linkage that can't be perfect for all
conditions, and I cannot get near the results I do with my Sony and Fuji
bodies, where I can actually see the desired focus point and focus on it. I
have said that I'd never use anything but an optical viewfinder, but the
EVF's are so good I quickly forget I am even using them. All this leads me
to the sad, but I am sure, correct conclusion that Leica should be an
optical lens maker, with the electronics, technology (and deep pockets) left
to Sony or Fuji, and do it quickly. Leica glass fully optimized to a modern
body capable of doing it justice would be an absolute killer combination.

btw, it has not escaped my notice that Sony's new full sensor bodies, the A7
and A7r, will function well with Leica glass.

Steve