Subject: [Leica] M9 gotcha
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 12:10:27 -0700

Me too..... Just changed the M9 setting...... uncompressed....

Everyone said it made no difference to final output..... But saving ALL the
sensor information is really important.....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

This weekend I learned, the hard way, that if you ask an M9 to produce
compressed DNG files it only keeps 8 bits per pixel. If you want the full 14
bits per pixel that the sensor records you have to store uncompressed DNG.

I didn't read the documentation as closely as i should have. Not that the
documentation is explicit about this. On page 174 of the English-language
manual it says that DNG compression is achieved "by non?linear reduction of
color depth".