Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tina's "Tea Party" reunion propaganda photo
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 11:14:12 -0500
References: <CA+yJO1DNTQ66Pu=2VWTqJaodUMc0q3MOb_UTdVxiL8mJhp2hrg@mail.gmail.com> <CE871207.12444%mark@rabinergroup.com> <CA+yJO1CnRiK60uPXcJ2sbBGs7TKyaRhiFBq-7x=F-FzHnqi-FA@mail.gmail.com> <DUB110-W104BA8CA8B071ACD9D1E8F88D070@phx.gbl> <164F59AA-7459-46A4-9AB5-4D250678AB65@sfr.fr> <CA+yJO1Bf2Z6aLHGOi3yovgaq_dt0ECh97BiVATqRQbLL-RddmQ@mail.gmail.com> <855C42D8-0C2E-42AD-AC5A-FE61DAA1FDEF@sfr.fr> <CAFuU78eik0L4EuGBZvWroYLA7nyw_yjXGwhKOZcURY73nM84dQ@mail.gmail.com>

I live in a part of town in which shootings have become commonplace. Three
people have been shot and killed within 100 feet of my front door since
Katrina (the "crime camera" on the light pole outside of my house has never
functioned). I do have guns in the house (and bars on my windows). They are
not part of any male bonding ceremony, nor do I have the craving to take one
and kill someone. I like to think I'm not a barbarian.

The argument that is most often used in my situation is "you need to get rid
of your guns and buy a house in a crime-free neighborhood". Well, I own my
current home, and moving to a crime-free neighborhood would add a $1,000 a
month 25-year mortgage to a 63-year-old who would like to retire in a few
years.

So, I avoid the contempt of those who hate guns and hate gun owners by not
bringing up the subject. Would I get rid of the guns if the other
270,000,000 guns in the United States weren't there? Absolutely. Let me know
when that happens.

When Leica enthusiasts meet over dinner, they admire each other's shooting
equipment. When gun enthusiasts meet over dinner, they admins each other's
shooting equipment. To label the latter group as barbarians for doing so
seems ironic. George Zimmerman would be in jail now if the DA had not tried
to paint him as a gun-toting racist who could not resist going out with the
intent to shoot a black person. That was over the top. He should have been
tried as a jerk who got into a fight and, when he started losing the fight,
he pulled out a gun and killed the guy. That would have gotten a guilty
verdict and he'd be in prison. Demonizing him for gun ownership rather than
just sticking with the evidence blew that trial.

Jeffery