Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tina's "Tea Party" reunion propaganda photo
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 08:06:34 +0200

Actually, I can understand the fascination, and I recognise that shooting
can be a sport--after all, a flavour of it (skeet) is even in the Olympics,
I think.

When I was in my late teens in Denmark, I sometimes went with a friend to a
shooting club in our hometown and fired some rounds of target practice. I
just used a borrowed pistol, but the people who were really into the sport
did own their handguns. BUT?they never left the club. Each member had a kind
of safe deposit box there, and the gun and ammo were kept there. They never
left the premises of the club. This was logical since a handgun has only two
purposes: to shoot target practice, which one did at the club; or to kill
other people, which is not allowed. So there was no need to take the gun out
of the club.

Cheers,
Nathan

On 19 Oct 2013, at 06:08, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sonny,
> It is very difficult to get one's head around this "need" when one has
> not even touched a gun in the whole 61 years of one's life, and never
> really felt the need to touch one, either. Cultural differences, I
> guess, but from my perspective this is one I cannot understand the
> need at all. I am totally against hunting animals for sport as well,
> so that accentuates the divide.....
> Cheers
> Jayanand
>
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Jay,
>>  Times have changed and so have I, but I've owned a Walther P38 (WWII)
>> and  a Walther PPKS (James Bond's pistol).  I rarely fired either of them,
>> almost always at our family farm.
>>
>> I did not own them for protection; I truly was fascinated by the
>> mechanics.
>>
>> I traded one for the other, then sold the PPK when I needed to pay some
>> bills.
>>
>> I now own three firearms; a shotgun, a 22 rifle and a 22 pistol.  I've not
>> seen any of them for several years, and the last time we used them was at
>> the range, (I think I posted those pix)
>>
>> I'm pretty ambivalent about the issue when it comes to small arms like I
>> own.  I really don't understand, and get aggressive when the machine is
>> very automatic  and has a clip with a multitude of bullets. I don't know
>> why anyone needs that, (surely not hunters).

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu
http://www.greatpix.eu