Subject: [Leica] S snapshots
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 08:23:53 +1000

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:21:08 -0700
From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Leica] S snapshots
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>

> On Sep 11, 2013, at 12:20 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> A long long time ago Leica gear became an unaffordable waste to discuss on
>> the lug as soon as Cosina made bodies and lenses cheaper and earlier to
>> buy
>> and sell and buy and sell.
>>
>> The Leica S gets less attraction on the lug Geoff And you're right the
>> Fuji and Olympus 1.5 crop rangefinders gets the continual day by day
>> headlines.

Geoff shoots with stuff he doesn't need and can't use, while Mark provides
his usual commentary  bemoaning the
Leica cause, while he shoots with Nikon....

and so it goes, this is the Leica Users Group.....

Steve

??????????..
Wait a minute Steve. Mark speaks for himself but I object to your comments
on me. What is this nonsense? It was three snapshots shown. I should have
stripped the metadata or not bothered. Seems a bit tough to me to label them
mediocre and then say that I don't need and can't use the gear. I never
claimed it was some kind of scientific test.  I guess I should have stripped
the metadata and said  that these are a couple of snapshots that I liked
even despite their limitations.

I enjoy using my Leica gear. I shot I think maybe 7-8000 frames with my M8
and then 9000 with my M9 over the last four years. I have had the M for 3
months. Personal circumstances mean that I have yet to shoot it a lot. I can
use them properly.

I have about a thousand photos on-line, almost all with M gear and I think
they have been looked at something more than 700,000 times thus far.

Of course I was happy to have a play with the S system when given the
chance. Why not?   Can I afford or justify one, no of course not.
Nevertheless I do hope to try the S (and we may have some hire options or
workshops here for that) in a studio environment in the future  because I am
shooting more subjects where that makes sense (fashion/beauty for example).
Actually the M system can work very well there too. I tried a couple of
thousand frames with Nikon DSLRs there for comparison.

Yes this is the LUG. Different folks with different interests and attitudes.
Sheesh!

Cheers,
Geoff Hopkinson
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman