Subject: [Leica] Commemorating HCB's bday
From: david5stones at gmail.com (Red Dawn)
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 14:58:20 +0800

Hi

Thanks to all for the wonderful welcome! I am definitely humbled by the
warmness in this group. I will share more, seeing that I've benefitted from
the collective wisdom and experience in this group.

Just a quick intro, I bought my very first Leica rangefinder, an M6TTL in
2004. I really love the rangefinder ethos and practice, but at the same
time also shot a digital system along with the M6. After I sold the M6 plus
3 lenses (28, 35 and 50 Summicrons) in a fit of madness in 2007 (no, not
really, I needed the money to get married), I continued to shoot my
Japanese digital cameras in the same way, setting exposure entirely
manually, using fixed, fast primes of focal length 28, 35 and 50mm.

The Leica was the best photography teacher I ever had.

Fast forward a few years, and unfortunately my marriage brought down 2
years ago, and after the separation, I decided to dedicate my life to the
one consistent passion in my life - photography, specifically documentary
photography. I've always been shooting weddings and stuff for money, but
deep down, I would rather shoot photo essays that tell stories, instead of
what clients want :)  This led to me eventually acquiring a used M9 plus a
brand new Summarit 35mm - regretted selling the 35 cron I used to have, but
no way am I paying twice more than what I paid for back in 2004 for EXACTLY
the same lens.... (ok it does have the 6 bit code).

Going back to Tokyo for street photography in March of 2012, which was the
place I went for my honeymoon, was a decision made on a whim, and I bought
the ticket about 2 weeks before departure. SInce then, Japan has became
somewhat of an obsession, and whenever I can, I have returned to Tokyo -
for a country that has faced much devastation in recent times, it's a place
I found healing, and was the basis of putting together a solo exhibition,
Tokyo Dreaming in Dec of 2012.

I'm planning a fifth trip later this year, and am now trying to organise my
photos in the form of a series of blog posts.

Part 1 can be found here (mostly street work)
http://5stonesphoto.com/blog/2013/07/22/tokyo-dreaming-the-complete-series-part-1/

Part 2 focused on the gardens and parks of Tokyo, which I love to wander in
http://5stonesphoto.com/blog/2013/07/24/tokyo-dreaming-ii-the-gardens-of-tokyo-ft-yasukuni-shrine-and-ueno-park/

Part 3 is exclusively black and white street work
http://5stonesphoto.com/blog/2013/08/19/tokyo-dreaming-part-3/

Part 4 is the tribute to HCB, which I posted earlier.

Hope you guys enjoy the photos and I will definitely be sharing more from
my on-going project!

David Teo
Photographer
http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog