Subject: [Leica] IMGs: On Assignment (from Ted Grant): Motion GEORGE LOTTERMOSER. EDITOR RESPONSE!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 08:03:29 -0700

George Lottermoser SHOWED AND SAID:
Subject: Re: [Leica] IMGs: On Assignment (from Ted Grant): Motion GEORGE
LOTTERMOSER.

>On Aug 10, 2013, at 11:28 PM, tedgrant at shaw.ca wrote:
> George Lottermoser SHOWED:
>
>>> c & c always welcome and appreciated
>>>
>>> <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=7725>

>> Hi George,,
>> Good motion, enough blurr to see what it is and feel their riding and
>> moving. The amount of blurr of the moving object and the
>> background/foreground should never be so much the scene merely becomes a
>> mass of colours or B&W and not recognizable what it really is in the
>> photograph.
>>
>> In your case they are about right. I think using this technique is better
>> illustrated in colour than B&W! That's always a debatable question
>> between photographers. :-) However we wont debate! ;-)
>
> Thanks for taking the time to play with us Ted.

GEORGE REPLIED!
> I did include one color version at the bottom; for comparison.
> Every time I compared the color with the black and white
> I found the color to be a visual distraction.

Dr. ted responded:
Hi George,

The problem that's creating the distraction isn't the colour directly!
Simply because as soon as the colour image comes on screen?  "IT'S STOPPED
ACTION!" The young girl on the left and the background are sharp and just
standing there. Yes some slight blur still in the carousel. But the bright
pink sweater is so eye catching UNMOVING having seen the B&W images first
well blurred. Your eye automatically react's to the bright sweater and young
lady immediately stopped!  ERGO?  Colour catches the eye ...... BANG IN YOUR
FACE. But without  motion!

Look on webpage " tedgrantphoto.com "  FOR TWO MOTION EXAMPLES in colour. .
"Portrait section: Second photo second row blue dress SHOT IN NY. Beside
John Travolta with cowboy hat!
"MARTHA BLURRED MOTION BKGRD, FACE SHARP!"
And in the FINE ART section, "Rome coliseum colour blurred traffic". So in
colour it can be quite active motion.
cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] NEW TOPIC CHANGE: NEW TOPIC ADDITION: FOR 12 AUGUST 17/2013!!)