Subject: [Leica] color rendition on the internet
From: meino at innerside.demon.nl (Meino de Graaf)
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 14:37:56 +0200

Ken

this is caused by mismatches in the colorspace of the image and the
colorspace of the monitor.
Google Chrome and the current Firefox have color management active, so
they can convert an image with a colorspace tag to the colorspace of
your monitor (if an image lacks the colorspace tag, Chrome and Firefox
defaults to sRGB). IE lacks this functionality so IE wil simply dump the
image to the monitor. In the case of IE this works if the image and the
monitor uses the same colorspace, FI sRGB. However when the colorspace
of the maonitor is not the same as the colorspace of the image problems
start. For instance the image is in sRGB and the monitor is a wide gamut
graphical monitor. In that case IE displays the image with oversaturated
colors.

So when putting images on the web, make sure that they are always
exported in sRGB colorspace. This wil ensure that the images wil display
reasonable correct on standard office monitors.
In the case a wide gamut monitor (or an calibrated monitor) is used, you
should always use a browser that will do color management (Chrome or
Firefox) if you want to see correct colors.

Regards Meino de Graaf