Subject: [Leica] IMG: X-E1 with Adapters
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 20:52:09 -0500

Hi Aram,
I have only had the X-E1 for a few days, and a lot of that time has been
spent just learning the details and options.  To start out, I used the
Fuji 18-55 autofocus lens, and Program Mode, all automated.  I gradually
found out what I didn't like, such as an immediate delay to view each
image after it was shot, and began turning things off.  With no viewing
of images, the delay between shots is fine, and, while the shutter
response is not as instantaneous as a film Leica, I have become
accustomed to it to the point that I can capture images of insects on
flowers with pretty good success.  Passing cars are more of a challenge!

With the X-E1 I have essentially live view in the EVF as well as on the
LCD display on the back.  While I seldom use the back display for hand
held shooting, the EVF is quite useable, even in sunlight.

I bought two adapters from Fotodiox, because I have used their products
in the past, and I didn't see a need for the expensive Fuji adapter.
The Leica-R to X adapter fits perfectly, and works fine.  The Leica-M to
X adapter functions fine, for the short time I have spent with it, but
it fits extremely tight to my LTM/M adapter from CameraQuest.  I'm not
sure how I will accomplish separating the two if that time arrives.

As to focusing, I have not installed the latest firmware upgrades to the
body and lens.  It is supposed to improve the "snap" in manual
focusing.  With the original firmware, I find that focusing the Leica
Elmarit-R 60 Macro is similar to that with the Olympus E-1, which I have
used for several years.  Some say the new firmware version helps, others
can't see much change.

Hope this helps. :-)

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA