Subject: [Leica] Auto ISO
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 11:11:59 +0530

I have been using Auto ISO on my Nikons for quite some time, usually
on Aperture Priority, because the Nikon DSLRs nowadays have also quite
a wide range of minimum shutter speeds built into the Auto ISO
function.

A Fuji's implementation of Auto ISO is flawed, in my opinion, because
a minimum shutter speed cannot be set. What I do when using my Fujis
is that I set Auto ISO to 3200/6400, and then use manual aperture
mode, so that I can control both the shutter speed and the depth of
field. The ISO adjusts accordingly. In effect, with Fuji X-Pro 1 and
X-E 1, I am using autofocus, auto ISO and manual exposure.

This is mainly because I feel that for sensors today, the old film
adage of setting a minimum shutter speed of the reciprocal of the
focal length in order to get acceptable results hand held is not valid
at all - for the Fuji, in general, I need twice that, and for the
D800, with its resolution, I need 3 to 4 times that, depending on the
lens used. Nikon allows you to set a minimum shutter speed up to four
times the reciprocal of the focal length being used (it adjusts
through the zoom range as well), in the D800 Auto ISO settings, so
they have recognized this need as well.

Cheers
Jayanand