Subject: [Leica] Political Correctness Changes with the Years
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 19:45:54 -0500

The recent comments on Political Correctness reminded me of how much these
definitions have changed through the years.  My only print-published photo
image was made in 1954, when the Tullahoma Jaycees, of which I was a member,
held a fund-raising Pancake Day in conjunction with the makers of Aunt
Jemima Pancake Mix.  The pancake company had hired an attractive African
American lady to represent them as Aunt Jemima at these events.  My photo
appeared on the cover of the Tennessee Jaycees News Letter, and is the only
published photo I can claim.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Pancake+1954_001.jpg.html

I'm sure that, by today's standards, this might be thought of as demeaning.
But, she was a charming lady, with a great smile, and added a lot to the
event.  She was much more photogenic than the club members who were helping
her with the cooking.  ;~)

Tina might comment on the skirts of the ladies in the foreground.  Styles
also change.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Political Correctness Changes with the Years)