Subject: [Leica] Fuji XE-1 - Mark
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 00:21:13 -0400

That really is the issue George.
Because when committed photographers face digital it depends on where there
coming from in the film world.
And there are the Kodachrome crowd and the Tri x crowd.
And the Slide guys don't necessarily have a post processing slant like a Tri
X person most assuredly would have.

Ernst Haas was a photographer known for using longish Leica R glass and
shooting color. Probably Kodachrome.
http://www.ernst-haas.com/
Like many photographers he knew and worked with or just heard of he may have
been shooting slides but he came from a background where he more than knew
his way around the darkroom. And could knock out a print in a pinch if he
had to. (a black and white print not so sure about color)

But plenty of shooters really just shot slides and never went into a
darkroom ever. Certainly not a color darkroom.
Most of their slides became CMYK printing plates for print publications.
And to them "post processing" meant laying their slides out on their light
table and editing them down.  Rating them. Which is in itself no mean feat.
Because its not what you shoot which counts its what you let people see I'm
sure you know.
And this is a thing which I sense gets done by about a fifth of the guys on
the LUG. As after you shoot a bunch of pix you have to bother too look at
them. And that is WORK.

Some would sort out a group of slides for a gallery show tell the custom
printer "straight prints". As he wanted the prints to look just like the
sides. His work not the printers work.
I was a custom printer and I can tell you when it said "straight print" we
didn't always do a straight print. We sometimes waved our hands about a bit
to spite ourselves. Perhaps to a little bit of Ludwig Van playing in the
background. Because slides are quite contrasty. - a slide has a tonal ratio
of 200/1. And a print 50/1. So things will disappear in the translation. And
they'll complain about that more.

You hold the sky a bit and if its a Cibachrome or other direct positive
right from the side print you're not lightening it out but darkening it in.
As when those clouds are there under the loupe or projected they also  have
to be there in a print.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Haas
" Ernst Haas (March 2, 1921 ? September 12, 1986) was a photojournalist and
a pioneering color photographer. During his 40-year career, the
Austrian-born artist bridged the gap between photojournalism and the use of
photography as a medium for expression and creativity. In addition to his
prolific coverage of events around the globe after World War II, Haas was
one of the earliest innovators of color photography. His images were widely
disseminated by magazines like Life and Vogue and, in 1962, were the subject
of the first single-artist exhibition of color photography at New York?s
Museum of Modern Art. He served as president of the cooperative Magnum
Photos, and his book The Creation (1971) was one of the most successful
photography books ever, selling 350,000 copies."