Subject: [Leica] PESO: RG Lewis and Leica M frustrations
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 01:40:56 -0400

If E does not stand for Excellent could they simply just change the
nomenclature on the camera if that was the issue?
The issue was the camera itself by any name which was a PR issue for Leica
to not create a perception problem distancing themselves by the cult like
mindset of people who would accuse Leica of abandoning quality camera by
abandoning their vaulted CCD in favor of the hated CMOS sensor.
In other words the main strength of the Leica M240 gets perceived as its
weakness; and we pander to that.  The strength is its CMOS sensor which puts
it in the ballgame against DSLR users who feel like Superman with their
cameras.
As it seems to have turned out there were very few of these CCD fanatics
with real money in their back pockets. I wondered just how crazy and
challenged a person would have to be to go for a Leica ME when the M240 is
such a huge boost to Leica M use.  But there always are a lot of people with
tons more money than common sense. ("why would I NEED those crazy high ISO's
for they're useless!") - the ME an idiot nod to a not so great past. It took
Leica way too long to replace the M9.  All they saw as it was selling lenses
as they paid off Magnum to use them.
With the M240 it  will be the Magnum photogs paying Leica.... As well as a
lot of other serous shooters some of whom coming back to the Leica
rangefinder shooting they'd done before digital. Some starting out the first
time.