Subject: [Leica] PESO: RG Lewis and Leica M frustrations
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 08:24:02 +1000

Steve I have looked at those very nice new designs from FujiFilm locally
too. The appeal is certainly obvious and they deserve to be successful.
>From my perspective it makes more sense to use them with their native
lenses to use all of their capabilities.

As far as I know Leica Camera are selling as much as they can make and more
than any time in recent history. I think that more photographers have
become interested too and buy some portion of that product as they always
have. Still very much a tiny niche part of the market of course.

Lots of us frustrated waiting for the M typ 240 to be delivered certainly.
I am still using my M9 while I am looking forward to an improved version of
it (which is how I think of the M).

I can only speak for my local area. Here the availability of M lenses is by
far the best I have ever seen in my 6 years of involvement. You can get
anything at all, including the exotics immediately off the shelf. The sole
exception I can think of the the APO Summicron 50 but that one is a truly
bleeding edge statement piece I think, probably akin to the first Nocti in
production challenges and astronomical price for that matter. Never
intended for volume production as far as I know. The M-E is on those
shelves too.
The S system is reportedly now holding 20% of the tiny medium format market.
As far as the new mystery Mini M  obviously none of us know exactly what it
will be and how well it will work just yet. I do think that a lot of the
predictions we read in the groups are more personal wishlists. I suspect
that many of those predictors will be very annoyed when their birthday
cakes have the wrong flavour frosting ;-)

My personal fearless prediction (SWAG!) is that it won't be an M at all or
something you can put M lenses on. Feel free to taunt me after June 11 if I
am completely wrong!

*Breathe in, breathe out, move on* -- Jimmy Buffett

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman