Subject: [Leica] Mark's 5.6 and be there
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 07:42:23 -0700

Ditto with the 100 APO Macro and the 35-70/4.  Since moving from the R8 to
digital, that is one thing I have yet to get use to; the need to stop down
to get decent results from a lens I have paid over 1 grand for.  Probably a
factor in that I am mostly using Nikon zoom lenses, but the Leica 35-70/4
performs exceedingly well wide open.  My Nikon 24-120/4 needs to be at f-11
on the long end to give any satisfactory results.  Forget f-4, or f-5.6 or
even f-8.  Yet, my eyes have reached a point that for anything not very
static, I cannot focus manually with any kind of a success rate in the
viewfinders designed for these new cameras.  Even if I glance at the focus
conformation light if there is time, the hit rate wide open is fairly poor.
There is too much slop in that light for manual focus wide open.  So I tend
to use the Leica glass for stationary things only.  Darn 62 year old
eyes.....

Aram