Subject: [Leica] Mark's 5.6 and be there
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 18:05:57 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>If you've looked at those lens test charts they used to always had in Pop
>and Modern photography monthly for decades we all did a lens always get a
>bit better contrast and resolution stopped down two or three. Its just the
>nature of optics.

It's how the lenses were designed.  They don't have to be designed that way.
 Use an R APO-Telyt at full aperture and everything you "know" about optics
will be obsolete.  I use the diaphragm for DOF control and exposure control.
 Stopping down one or two stops for optimum performance does not apply to
the best lenses.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com