Subject: [Leica] ROT - in 25 words or less - need names of brilliant Automotive Photographers
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 09:00:32 +0100

I worked in Formula 1 for 35 years. I got to know the photographers pretty
well. There have been some excellent ones and others who just got the shots.
It is probably much technically easier nowadays than when I started, but far
more restrictions on access.
I remember David Winter at the 1978 British Grand Prix, I was a spectator
since I was between jobs from Hesketh to Williams and watched from the
inside of Clearways with Chris Witty, a journalist then, and Gunnar Nilsson
who was very ill with cancer. David was standing about one pace from the
apex panning as each car went by trying to get a driver portrait with his
new 300mm f2.8. You couldn't get anywhere near that now. Back then my
favourite photogs were David Winter and Diana Burnett.
Darren Heath is probably the standout nowadays. I have a fabulous print of
his.
Bernard Cahier and his son Paul-Henri are (were in the case of Bernard) dear
friends of mine and both produced fantastic work, though I think son out
shoots father... To be fair, Bernard had far more to do than just shoot
pictures and the technical skill needed back then was far more difficult.
I believe static shots of cars is a completely different skill set and vast
sums of money are spent on super high quality kit and a large staff. I know
very little about anything outside F1 though!
FD